This section is responsible for enforcing the provisions of following statutes, enacted by Government of India:
- Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Rules made there under.
- Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954.
- Drugs(Prices Control) Order, 1995.
Main activities of this section are as under-
- Inspection for grant or renewal of licenses for the manufacture of allopathic drugs
- Inspection for grant or renewal of licenses for retail and wholesale of drugs
- Collection of samples of drugs and cosmetics from manufacturer, seller and pharmacist or from premises of warehouse for test or analysis to check their potency and originality.
- Inspections and raids with a view to detect offences under the Act specially movement and sale of spurious drugs or cosmetics.
- Investigations of cases of contraventions under the Act.
- Inspections of the premises licensed for manufacture and sale of drugs, with a view to ensure that conditions of the licenses are complied with.
- Launching of prosecutions against persons or firms found contravening the provisions of the Act.
- Control of prices of drugs under DPCO (Drugs Price Control Order) within the state through Meghalaya State Price Monitoring & Resource Unit Society
For the work relating to Drug Control Organisation in the State of Meghalaya. The following officers have been appoint during 2006-2007.
- Controlling and Licensing Authority:- Assistant Drugs Controller
- Senior Inspector of Drugs: 2 to assist the Controlling and Licensing Authority.
- Inspector of Drugs: 10 The Inspector of Drugs have been appointed in each District and Meghalaya AIDS Control Society within their respective jurisdiction.
Activities and Achievement during 2021-2023
With the introduction of Ease of Doing Business in Meghalaya, online application for Drugs License (www.investmeghalaya.gov.in) have been implemented throughout the State.
|1||Number of Licenses granted||252|
|2||Number of Licenses Cancelled||65|
|3||Number of License Suspended||Nil|
|3||Number of Samples drawn/ result thereof||883/456|
|4||Number of drugs found Not of Standard Quality and action taken there on||32
|5||Number of spurious drugs detected||Nil|
|6||Number of Prosecution launched and result thereof in respect of offence relating to manufacture and sale of Misbranded, Spurious, and Adulterated Drugs.||One manufacturing license suspended on Interstate Administrative action (M/s Neutic Healthcare Pvt Ltd, E-698, DSIIDC, Narela Industrial Area, Delhi-110040|
|7||Total Number of sale premises||2632|
|8||Number of Manufacturing license||Nil|