This section is responsible for enforcing the provisions of following statutes, enacted by Government of India:
- Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 and Rules made there under.
- Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisements) Act, 1954.
- Drugs(Prices Control) Order, 1995.
Main activities of this section are as under-
- Inspection for grant or renewal of licenses for the manufacture of allopathic drugs
- Inspection for grant or renewal of licenses for retail and wholesale of drugs
- Collection of samples of drugs and cosmetics from manufacturer, seller and pharmacist or from premises of warehouse for test or analysis to check their potency and originality.
- Inspections and raids with a view to detect offences under the Act specially movement and sale of spurious drugs or cosmetics.
- Investigations of cases of contraventions under the Act.
- Inspections of the premises licensed for manufacture and sale of drugs, with a view to ensure that conditions of the licenses are complied with.
- Launching of prosecutions against persons or firms found contravening the provisions of the Act.
- Control of prices of drugs under DPCO (Drugs Price Control Order) within the state.
For the work relating to Drug Control Organisation in the State of Meghalaya. The following officers have been appoint during 2006-2007.
- Drugs Controller and Licencing Authority:- The Director of Health Services was appointed as Ex-Officio Drugs Controller and Licencing Authority in Addition to his duties as DHS (M.I).
- Assistant Drugs Controller: 1 to assist the Drugs Controller and Licencing Authority.
- Inspector of Drugs: The Inspector of Drugs have been appointed in each District within their respective jurisdiction.
|1.||Number of Licenses granted||240 Numbers|
|2.||Number of Licenses cancelled||28 Numbers|
|3.||Number of Licenses suspended||1 Number|
|4.||Number of Dry Samples tested and result thereof||314 Numbers|
|5.||Number of Drugs found not of standard quality and action taken on there.||5 Numbers|
|Number of Spurious Drugs detected.||Nil.|
|Number of procecution launched and result thereof in respect of offence relating to manufacture and sale of Mis-branded, spurious and Adulterated Drugs.||Nil.|
|Number of Sale premises||240 Numbers|
|Number of Manufacturing Licences||Nil.|