Directorate of Health Services (Medical Institutions)
The Directorate of Health Services, Medical Institutions is responsible for establishment, administration, regulation and monitoring of Medical and Health Institutions (primary, secondary and tertiary) along with handling the necessary supporting infrastructure within the state, medical education, food safety and drug control and monitoring and implementation of various programmes related to public health and disease control. The main objectives and responsibilities of the directorate are mentioned below:
- Administration and monitoring of medical services across the state.
- Providing medical services through a network of hospitals, Public Health Centres, Sub-Centres, dispensaries from the District to the remotest villages in the state.
- Registration of medical institutions, pharmacies and wholesalers
- Registration of nurses, AYUSH doctors, etc
Food and Drug Control
- Prevention of food adulteration.
- Control on availability of drugs.
- Price and quality Control on Drugs.
Storage and Distribution
- Purchase or procurement of drugs, hospital equipments, surgical equipments etc., as also storage of drugs.
- Distribution of drugs, life saving medicines, surgical equipments, in Hospitals, PHCs, CHCs, Sub-Centres and Dispensaries across the state.
Training and Education
- Training Programmes for nurses.
Alternative system of medicine
- Promotion and monitoring of alternative systems of medicine like Homoeopathy and Ayurvedic medicine through the state
Implementation and monitoring of various central programmes on public health and disease control like
- IDSP (Integrated Disease Surveillance Project) and other central programmes for Leprosy, Malaria, Tuberculosis, Blindness Control, AIDS, etc.
- Controlling various medical institutions in the state.
- Recruitment, Transfer and Posting of various health staffs.
- Procurement of medical supplies, drugs and consumables.
- Issue of rules, regulations and other orders from time to time
- Maintenance of records and management of information system.
- Other administrative functions